Call for Board and Committee Member Nominations
National Capital Area Crime Stoppers is currently seeking to fill as many as ten board vacancies for its upcoming Annual General Meeting in 2019.
About National Capital Area Crime Stoppers (NCACS)
For more than 30 years, National Capital Area Crime Stoppers has raised money to fund cash rewards, which are offered for anonymous tips brought forward by the public to help law enforcement in the resolution of crimes. Crime Stoppers is an important not-for-profit organization that does not receive any direct taxpayer funding, and it relies on businesses and private donors to meet the financial obligations of the program.
The organization is governed by up to 20 board members at any given time, with each member serving minimum two and three-year (renewable) terms, depending on the board position filled. In accordance with the NCACS by-laws, elections will be held for the membership to select new, qualified directors to fill potential upcoming vacancies and to increase skills and leadership for existing and newly formed committees. This is a volunteer Board, therefore remuneration is not provided to Board and Committee Members.
The Board of NCACS is a working board, and the membership is currently seeking qualified individuals to apply for Board or Committee positions for the following:
- IT/Technology – IT management, Website Development, Maintenance, Security, Analytics
- Marketing and Communications – traditional and digital marketing strategies and tactics
- Events – logistics, coordination for live events and public appearances
- Fundraising – corporate sponsorships and private donation
- Audit and Risk – financial planning, the audit process, financial reporting, etc.
- Nomination, HR, Governance – current strategies and approaches using governance frameworks and other practices
- Youth – recruitment of youth participants and volunteers
Qualified candidates (whether for Board or Committee positions) must:
- successfully pass a Police Criminal Records Check
- prepare for and attend the Board Meetings
- foster a positive working relationship with Board Members
- offer meaningful contributions, expertise and experience necessary to guide the program to continued success
- devote the necessary time required to be a fully participating member of the board or committee. Board Meetings are held each month (approximately 2 hours each), and additional work may include a minimum of 10 hours a month commitment
- participate in a minimum of two public NCACS events annually
- **(Board Members) must join a minimum of 2 committees
National Capital Area Crime Stoppers values the diversity of its membership and the people our organization serves. NCACS wants to promote a culture in which individual differences, talents and strengths are recognized, appreciated, and respected. In addition to the qualifications outlined above, NCACS is also seeking the following preferred skills, experience and business acumen:
- Strategic planning experience
- Cultural sensitivity and community engagement
- Knowledge and experience in board governance, audit and risk
- Knowledge and experience in program development for corporate sponsorships
- Local, regional and national business connections
- Board experience (not-for-profit and for-profit)
- High level of integrity and duty to the protection of the local community
- Citizen of the National Capital Area Region
- Bilingualism is also preferred
Deadline: July 24, 2019 (5pm Eastern)
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their cover letters (including the role for which you want to be considered (Board Member and/or Committee Member), along with your Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Executive Committee will review submissions, and only those candidates who meet the qualifications will be contacted, interviewed and nominated for election at the Annual General Meeting.